-
February 21st, 2004, 11:17 PM
#1
Inactive Member
They say Sam is victorian period but wouldn't she really be edwardian period??
-
February 22nd, 2004, 12:43 AM
#2
Inactive Member
Right, Betsy, she would. I think they say in Samantha's World that she's Edwardian, and explain the difference between the two. Both of those eras are my "thing"- so I know a lot about them- lol.
-
February 22nd, 2004, 01:59 AM
#3
Inactive Member
Liz, isn't the Edwardian period something from British history? In other words, would anything in America really be called Edwardian? I'm sure you will be able to set me straight!
-
February 22nd, 2004, 02:57 AM
#4
HB Forum Owner
The Victorian era is "English", too! [img]wink.gif[/img] The US liked to copy fashions and styles of England and other countries. Here's some information on the Edwardian era in the US:
http://www.erasofelegance.com/edwardianevents.html
There is some overlapping that goes on--from what I've been told in school the eras usually ended in England first. (The only reason I know this is because literature styles followed "eras", too. I actually remember something from a class! [img]smile.gif[/img] )
<font color="#020176" size="1">[ February 21, 2004 11:09 PM: Message edited by: Melissa ]</font>
-
February 22nd, 2004, 08:05 AM
#5
Inactive Member
I'm sure clothes from either era would be appropriate, as Samantha was in the fading-out of things Victorian and beginnings of things Edwardian! [img]smile.gif[/img]
-
February 22nd, 2004, 09:50 AM
#6
Inactive Member
I have had heard the term Victorian much more than I have heard Edwardian. Are these two eras close in style? My thought is that, if they are similar, they both get called Victorian, though incorrect. It's like long-necked dinosaurs being called brontosaurs even though there isn't a dinosaur named that. But you don't hear brachiosaur or other names as much. Heck, it's also kinda like all brands of in-line skates being called Rollerblades or tissues being called Kleenex. So my point is that Edwardian gets called Victorian as well because it's easier for people who find it hard to discern between the two to lump them together. So in a way Victorian is the correct name for Samantha's time period in layman's terms.
-
February 22nd, 2004, 01:09 PM
#7
Inactive Member
Sarah- in fashion they are worlds apart. The "Victorian" period ranged from the 1840s/50s to the turn of the century. Their fashion was like Addy's- bustles, petticoats, and huge ballgowns. The Edwardian period lasted from 1900 to the end of World War I. And yes, in America, they were called "Victorian" and "Edwardian"- although those terms were referring to the English Queen and King. Edwardian fashion was like smaller skirts, less restrictive underwear, and those giant hats- [img]tongue.gif[/img] . Hope that helps!
-
February 22nd, 2004, 06:55 PM
#8
Inactive Member
I've seen a lot of clothes for Sam on ebay or other sites that don't look right because they are from an earlier era. Victorian dresses were big and poofy. Edwardian dresses were slimmer like My Fair Lady and Titanic. Manor House was the Edwardian era as well.
-
February 23rd, 2004, 03:44 PM
#9
Inactive Member
That site that Melissa referred us to has an excellent link for comparing the two styles (scroll to the bottom)......
http://www.erasofelegance.com/fashion4.html#9
Joy
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks